This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voting Thread

I voted Stay, Abomination, and Don't Forget Your Costume.

Stay
    , because I liked the hinted progression. It was in the MC's head, and she was along for the ride, just like us as readers.

Don't Forget Your Costume for pretty much the same reason. Except that this one had that drastic shift in the middle. For me, it just worked perfectly. I had to give it my vote.

Abomination. It was a little abrupt, but well handled. It was clever that it referenced the Diaper Dimension, but actually only had diapers used in the 'real world.' I'd really like to hear the author comment about this one, I may be reading too far into it. There're a lot of little bits that I took as references to other recent stories. I don't know if this was intended, but it really threw me off guessing who wrote it.

The only upsetting thing is that I couldn't vote for all the stories except mine. :-\
    Seriously, it was hard to narrow it down to three. It mostly came down to personal preference, as they were all really solid.
    I'll put a line-break anywhere, and you can't

stop me.

Comment

Originally posted by Elibean link=topic=7047.msg71830#msg71830 date=1480771686
      I couldn't get past the head-jumping in that one. I had a similar problem with the flow in Don't Forget Your Costume. But my biases are pretty clear: I voted for Redeeming Clara, The Fourth Roommate, and Abomination. The stories were all neatly plotted, but the relationships at the heart of all three are what made them stand out.
      For me the head jumping was only a problem towards the end. Before then I felt that the cuts to the dog made great scene breaks.

The characters definitely made those stories.

I would've voted for Abomination or The Fourth Roommate (Redeeming Clara and Witch's Brew were set in stone, vote-wise) if it weren't for their endings.

Abomination had one of the less abrupt of the abrupt endings but I felt it deserved better. Maybe if the final attack of the arms was given a longer scene (give the dread a chance to sink in), they just sort of popped out and it cut to black. They could've been shown dragging people off one by one as the last survivors huddled together as the arms closed in on them.

The Fourth Roommate had the most frustrating and abrupt ending of the bunch; I've already said it feels like the author cut off at least one sentence too early. Before that it was one of the most consistently good stories here (contest or not).
      Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Witch's Brew I enjoyed all around. Round characters, fleshed out setting, technically well written. Incorporated Halloween well into the story.

The Fourth Roommate was good all the way until the end, at which point it feels like the author was rushed or something.

Mike and Sally was well-written, if not thematically basically fap-fiction. Especially the narration, where verbosity increased and more intelligent phrases slipped in occasionally.

Abomination had an interesting ending, if not rushed. Very gruesome and well worded. The premise of the horror events being hallucinations from LSD worked well too.

Redeeming Clara I have no complaints. I can't find any flaws anywhere in it. My only "complaint" would be that it feels TOO stereotypical. Honestly though, it's a perfect match for this contest.

Boo just seemed not fleshed out, too much plot and not enough characters.

Don't Forget Your Costume seemed like it had a lot of potential but I just couldn't get over the mindfuck I had while trying to figure out the narrative skips and unexplained backstory. I figured out most of it after 2-3 read-throughs, but I shouldn't HAVE to read it multiple times.

The Harvest Festival was well written, and I especially liked the interludes with the dog. However, it felt like the characters were just in the wrong place at the wrong time a la deus-ex-machina.

Stay was enjoyable. However, it just felt like it was lacking something (too action focused? too cliche?).

The New Wing also was stereotypical. Again though that's not really a bad thing, just personal preference. I enjoyed the cliffhanger ending, it had an action-y feel to it. ABDL element was VERY forced though.

Backward Baby Ward was a well executed version of a trope (babying the babysitter) with a small twist (teaching a lesson). However, the red herrings threw off the flow of reading because I kept waiting for something that never happened. Also one of the least Halloween related entries.

In the end, I had a very, very hard time narrowing it down. I ended up voting for Witch's Brew , Mike and Sally , and The Fourth Roommate .

Comment

Originally posted by ShinraS link=topic=7047.msg71863#msg71863 date=1480820052
          Boo just seemed not fleshed out, too much plot and not enough characters.
          I found Boo to be surprisingly entertaining on my second reading. It's lack of fleshing out and general rushed feel makes it kind of funny in a cheesy way.

Don't Forget Your Costume seemed like it had a lot of potential but I just couldn't get over the mindfuck I had while trying to figure out the narrative skips and unexplained backstory. I figured out most of it after 2-3 read-throughs, but I shouldn't HAVE to read it multiple times.
          I'd like to add that requiring multiple readings to fully understand a story (as best as it can be understood) isn't a bad thing, on the condition that it should let you develop at least one solid theory of what happened on the first reading (even if it's/they're way off from the truth). But, to me, on the first reading Don't Forget Your Costume felt like parts of three different stories stapled together. It's a natural result of its transition-lite style; it can work in the long run but it creates immersion problems, not the best thing for a short story with a short intro.

Stay was enjoyable. However, it just felt like it was lacking something (too action focused? too cliche?).
          Stay felt underdeveloped. I love its scary parts, they're very well executed, but everything else had trouble living up to those.
          Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Voting Thread

This was just point d out to me via PM but the post that had the actual payout amounts is missing. It was deleted when the DB crashed the other night when a mass spam run crashed the MySQL service (long story…) and I forgot yo repost it.

Maybe not a bad thing. I'm going to PM the authors of the stories that tied with a possible alternative to the original plan as it appears handling this fairly as originally planned won't quite work after checking the raw vote stats :/

Comment

Working...
            X