• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guess the Authors

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71634#msg71634 date=1480059168
    *Starts another cauldron full*

*Reaches into WBDaddy's bowl*

You can have some of mine when it's done.

I think part of the problem with lack of guessing, as I mentioned earlier, is that "active posters" and "authors" is a mostly overlapping group.

Oh, by the way, I thought you all might complain if I opened my offer to Renko, but if the show doesn't continue here, I will specifically do so…
    Except Renko fielded all the entries, so she automatically knows who wrote what…

I have to admit, the most hilarious thing here (for me) is that there are SO many components of my writing style and pattern that clash with the guesses I've seen so far.

Of course, I've already self-contradicted in my previous comments, so….

Comment

But knowing which story is mine is only the first step to collecting…. I may or may not have had an ABDL author in mind, you may or may not know the author, if you know the author you may or may not know the work, if you know the work you may or may not catch the reference (or at least remember the work to make the connection). I will note that it is English language (but may or may not be a translation), so if you can read my story you could read the work you would need to in order to win. I'm not impossible.

Since I don't officially require you to guess which story is mine, there is no reason all you authors can't publicly guess without revealing which story is mine, or at least not definitively.
      Take the buffets of life, work through them, and savor the buffets.
      Story Forum Chat: abdlstoryforum.info/chat.php

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71637#msg71637 date=1480061465
        But knowing which story is mine is only the first step to collecting…. I may or may not have had an ABDL author in mind, you may or may not know the author, if you know the author you may or may not know the work, if you know the work you may or may not catch the reference (or at least remember the work to make the connection). I will note that it is English language (but may or may not be a translation), so if you can read my story you could read the work you would need to in order to win. I'm not impossible.

Since I don't officially require you to guess which story is mine, there is no reason all you authors can't publicly guess without revealing which story is mine, or at least not definitively.
        Unless it's a story that was posted after post moderation was turned on and one I released from the moderation queue the chances of me even having a remote idea of the title would be near zero on a good day

Comment

Originally posted by Renko Yanagi
          …the chances of me even having a remote idea of the title would be near zero on a good day
          If it's an ABDL story, I do seem to recall something about that. If it isn't, then you should have about the same chance as anyone else.

I'm getting bored here…

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71649#msg71649 date=1480138622
            I'm getting bored here…
            No need to be all huffy about it.

Truth be told, there is only one story other than my own I am certain about, and it's because that author was one of the people I conspired with to produce stories that were far outside our usual "styles".

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71649#msg71649 date=1480138622
              If it's an ABDL story, I do seem to recall something about that. If it isn't, then you should have about the same chance as anyone else.

I'm getting bored here…
              Uh… no, I"m pretty sure the average member still has a better chance than I do. The bulk of my reading in the last 10 years has been programming books, Agatha Christie, the 4 original Monster High books, the Harry Potter books, and the first 10 novels in the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. Oh, and I think I may have reread A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones along with Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander Bonanno, and I'm 99% certain I read Spock's World by Diane Duane either on February 27th or 28th in 2015.

So yeah, based on what I remember of your story, not a high probability I could guess it with my reading habits

Comment

I've read a number of those books, but that may or may not be the source. Then again, the work in question may or may not be more than a decade old. If you come up with a guess, go ahead and try.

Comment

Well, down to the wire, and I've received a grand total of one guess. I knew I wasn't offering an easy challenge, but I hadn't quite expected it to be this quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71804#msg71804 date=1480728027
                    Well, down to the wire, and I've received a grand total of one guess. I knew I wasn't offering an easy challenge, but I hadn't quite expected it to be this quiet.
                    Well the reveals aren't actually happening until the 8th, so by the restriction you gave they still technically have a week to guess if they want to.

And I'll be honest, with what very little I remember of your story, my best guesses would be either In for a Penni by Elizabeth or Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, and somehow I doubt either is correct

Comment

That's right. I had it tied to the vote period ending in my mind, forgetting that the reveal date hadn't been explicitly announced (or if it had, I somehow missed it).

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71809#msg71809 date=1480729822
                        That's right. I had it tied to the vote period ending in my mind, forgetting that the reveal date hadn't been explicitly announced (or if it had, I somehow missed it).
                        Originally it was supposed to be after the poll closed, but I gave the actual date here. And I typoed it in my previous post,

Comment

I saw it - but that was long after the "closes with the polls" time got itself lodged in my brain and failed to update according to the new information. I'll honor my initial wording, though at the rate the guesses have been coming in it won't make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Renko Yanagi link=topic=7049.msg71808#msg71808 date=1480729503
                            And I'll be honest, with what very little I remember of your story, my best guesses would be either In for a Penni by Elizabeth or Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, and somehow I doubt either is correct
                            I think that guess might be enough to reveal which story is ally's. Unless it's not the obvious choice.
                            Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneWhoSees link=topic=7049.msg71813#msg71813 date=1480733915
                              I think that guess might be enough to reveal which story is ally's. Unless it's not the obvious choice.
                              Seeing as how I can count the number of wrong guesses on my foot with the missing toe with room to spare I doubt it's really much of a hint.

Comment

Am I really that obvious about my writing? Or are people mostly pretty good at guessing?

I'll promise I'll be just as prim and proper as you please about honoring the challenge. That said, I don't think what Renko said changes the likelihood I'll end up paying out.

Comment

Working...
                                X