Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guess the Authors

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71818#msg71818 date=1480744430
    Am I really that obvious about my writing? Or are people mostly pretty good at guessing?
    More a case of good at "being too damn sure of their other guesses" based on what some of the comments. Interestingly the wrong guesses happened after you started posting your other story

Comment

Originally posted by Renko Yanagi link=topic=7049.msg71819#msg71819 date=1480744622
      More a case of good at "being too damn sure of their other guesses" based on what some of the comments. Interestingly the wrong guesses happened after you started posting your other story
      It is fascinating that very few of the writers (self EXcluded) who participated have a distinguishable style about them to the point where someone could immediately guess, "this is so-and-so's story".

I have a style, it just wasn't present for this story, or at least I think I did a pretty good job of masking it.

Comment

And here I pushed up the posting of Curiosity a bit to try to give people a fair chance at guessing, since I had no published stories for people to work from. Apparently my style is either not built yet, or also not so distinct after all.
        Take the buffets of life, work through them, and savor the buffets.
        Story Forum Chat: abdlstoryforum.info/chat.php

Comment

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71820#msg71820 date=1480744781
          It is fascinating that very few of the writers (self EXcluded) who participated have a distinguishable style about them to the point where someone could immediately guess, "this is so-and-so's story".

I have a style, it just wasn't present for this story, or at least I think I did a pretty good job of masking it.
          Believe it or not, only Ally's, Write and Left's, Cute-Kitten's, and Les Lea's stories have been fairly consistently guessed correctly. The rest have all been fairly inconsistent.

And as a minor hint to future guesses: One thing all those author's have in common? They all wrote one story but are the most guessed as having two for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71821#msg71821 date=1480745147
            And here I pushed up the posting of Curiosity a bit to try to give people a fair chance at guessing, since I had no published stories for people to work from. Apparently my style is either not built yet, or also not so distinct after all.
            Both the wrong guesses were when only chapter one was up, so it's possible there just wasn't enough of sample for them yet.

I'm still hoping some of those people who sent guesses will post them now that the voting is closed.

Comment

People thought I wrote two stories? Were they not paying attention when I said some time back (perhaps not quite in so many words in one post) that I didn't even read the two marked scary? I concluded I'd made the right choice there when you said someone thought Long Rifle had written one of them.

Oh, and I did post the first two chapters at once for that reason, since the first alone would have been rather short for guessing.
              Take the buffets of life, work through them, and savor the buffets.
              Story Forum Chat: abdlstoryforum.info/chat.php

Comment

Originally posted by Renko Yanagi link=topic=7049.msg71822#msg71822 date=1480745198
                Believe it or not, only Ally's, Write and Left's, Cute-Kitten's, and Les Lea's stories have been fairly consistently guessed correctly. The rest have all been fairly inconsistent.
                I'm sad I made myself so guessable, although I did duplicated the same dead white male in my current on-going story. As soon as I posted it, I realize I made a mistake.

Comment

So, other than the three four (I forgot Renko was in on the secret too) people who knew in advance what I intended to write, anyone figure me out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ally link=topic=7049.msg71824#msg71824 date=1480745672
                    People thought I wrote two stories? Were they not paying attention when I said some time back (perhaps not quite in so many words in one post) that I didn't even read the two marked scary? I concluded I'd made the right choice there when you said someone thought Long Rifle had written one of them.

Oh, and I did post the first two chapters at once for that reason, since the first alone would have been rather short for guessing.
                    This is gonna sound like total brown-nosing, and it's kinda supposed to; heavy complimenting inbound.
                    I would have had trouble guessing you and Selv14, just because they didn't have any other stories.
                    But once you posted the first chapter of curiosity; I knew exactly which was yours.

I'll be honest, I'm absolutely infatuated with your style of writing.
                    Your entry was my instant favorite, even before I guessed who wrote it.

And I found myself loving Curiosity for exactly the same reasons, even in a totally different environment.
                    You definitely gave yourself away.

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71833#msg71833 date=1480779072
                    So, other than the three people who knew in advance what I intended to write, anyone figure me out yet?
                    I realized shortly after sending my guess to Renko that you had actually revealed your intention in the Contest thread.
                    You post about biting fingernails confirmed it; my first pick for you was nowhere near winning.

But you cheated.
                    You mimicked something I almost never read, thus making it nearly impossible to compare accurately.

I've figured you out, you slick mother- :-X
                    ;D
                    I plead a 5th.

Comment

Now the meta question. Why did I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71835#msg71835 date=1480779871
                        To give me a chance at winning.
                        (Might've squandered that, kinda. : )

Originally posted by Renko Yanagi link=topic=7049.msg71258#msg71258 date=1479250589
                        Does it? Tell me which one is Ally's or Selv14's
                        Don't know how, but I only just now bumped into selv14's stories, again.
                        And I've read them too, but forgot he was the author. Your post made me think he didn't have any.
                        I plead a 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Vearynope link=topic=7049.msg71837#msg71837 date=1480782690
                          To give me a chance at winning.
                          (Might've squandered that, kinda. : )
                          C'mon, you can do better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71835#msg71835 date=1480779871
                            I'mma double post here.
                            I'm also gonna post some unfiltered opinion based on my weird reasoning.

There are two camps here, I'd say they're fairly even here but most other places, one camp far outnumbers the other.
                            On the one hand, you have the anonymous readers or one-line commenters; "Great story, love it," for example. With them, you have authors who write works catered to that crowd.
                            On the other hand you have those who appreciate stories with more narrative. With them, you have authors who try to write a compelling story, rather than instant gratification.

Thing is, both are similar.
                            The one-handed stories of frequent self-insert topics get almost exclusively ignored by the 'story' set, (which includes me) but they are instantly praised by those who follow them. Naming conventions usually give these stories away instantly; John Doe and Jane Doe, or heavy overuse of the word 'diaper.' ('-girl/boy name- in diapers' for example) And of course, is why you named yours as such. Males are almost exclusively the protagonists, often sissy or regressed into such a state. If a female character is written, it's often in name only.

But on the other hand, stories that require investment of several chapters may be praised by 'us,' but if they take more than a chapter to include helpless messing, are usually ignored by the other set.

Thing is, we here frequently bash, belittle, and otherwise try to drive away people who write fapfiction. And if we don't do that, then we simply ignore such stories, leaving the commenting to those accounts that rarely reply with much more than thanks and praise. For the majority, this may be appropriate, considering the average quality of these stories. However, there are some that write those stories, but actually put effort into it, and actually write really solid stories. These too are often ignored, and rarely commented on with any kind of technical feedback.

It's almost an elitist attitude. The merits of the story is completely ignored because the protagonist is a male who gets regressed into a sissy, humiliated, and ultimately becomes a plaything for his female dom. Similarly, it seems thatmaking the 'diapered' male, disqualifies the story from being read by the other camp.

What you did was write a technically solid story, properly edited and polished, but picked filled it content that wouldn't win a single vote from this site's 'good author' set. You pitted 'us' against the anonymous mob of one-handers whom would enjoy such a story.

Perhaps your statement was that we need to give all stories an unbiased read-through before dismissing it as something we don't like. Perhaps you wanted to see if a diapered adult male could out-perform a cute girl.
                            Can the cute-vote beat the self-insert vote?
                            Are we really sexist in a way to completely opposes Hollywood, where males will never be successful?

Or perhaps, as one of the most well-known authors around, (to my knowledge) you wanted to see if voters would look for you and pour votes into your lap, based on popularity. Could you hide your style well enough that people couldn't give you the 'celebrity vote.'

Or am I reading this completely the wrong way?

Couple other notes.
                            Renko posting the entrant list kinda screwed up your deception, by ruling out your author of inspiration.

I was looking for meta hints from the start, since you mentioned it in the other thread. There's another story that I must have mistakenly read too much into. Certain phrases, and certain tropes lead me to a conclusion that it was an irreverent statement about stories of that type. Of course, that one isn't your story, and I'm left wondering if a similar position was taken by the author. I could've completely read that one wrong; something I've done frequently. To its credit, its put together well enough that, even if not intended, I could find such subtle and clever messages within. Meaning it came across as much more than surface-deep, which is a great thing.

The thing that threw me off the most about your story, was the short segment of absolutely atrocious dialogue by a certain foreign character. Why the hell would you write that!?

You tactic did work great initially, I did immediately pair your story with another author, simply based on name. Upon reading, I found that the style did not line up with who I guessed wrote it. My conclusion was that they too, were weaving some deception.

So with my conclusion that multiple authors were being tricky, I was beating my head against the wall trying to untangle this mess. Now that I think I've got it figured out, I suspect that most of my confusion was entirely of my own making; again, a common fault. To me, fucking everything is a red herring. :

Edit: I guess I'm not gonna double post.
                            Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71841#msg71841 date=1480794014
                            C'mon, you can do better than that.
                            Yes, that was definitely a joke.
                            You posted this while I was typing up the real reply.
                            I plead a 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Vearynope link=topic=7049.msg71843#msg71843 date=1480796627
                              Edit: I guess I'm not gonna double post.Yes, that was definitely a joke.
                              You posted this while I was typing up the real reply.
                              LOL! Timing is everything. ;D

And, while your diatribe does occasionally brush with my original motivation, you are way overthinking it.

Hints: Why does this thread exist? How does that relate to Halloween as an overarching theme?

Comment

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71844#msg71844 date=1480796864
                                LOL! Timing is everything. ;D

And, while your diatribe does occasionally brush with my original motivation, you are way overthinking it.

Hints: Why does this thread exist? How does that relate to Halloween as an overarching theme?
                                *Headdesk*
                                :-[
                                I got it now.
                                That is damn clever.
                                Again…
                                Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=7049.msg71844#msg71844 date=1480796864
                                you are way overthinking it.
                                Told you.

Only problem is you're basing it off of the commercialized version of Halloween, which I've personally dismissed as actual Halloween. I prefer the traditional observation. See above, I can't see the forest for the trees. But damn if they aren't nice trees. Wrong kind of meta, I guess. :
                                I plead a 5th.

Comment

Working...
                                X