Reputation system changes and the "facebook" Like buttons on posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reputation system changes and the "facebook" Like buttons on posts

So a few people have used the contact form to contact me panicing about the "facebook" like buttons on posts. These are not faceook like buttons.

vBulletin 5's version of the reputation system works every differently from earlier versions. There is no concept of negative reputation. The like buttons replace the reputation systems positive reputation functions. In fact internally that's all it is because I have not not enabled the Facebook connect functionality on this site and I never will.

Currently the system doesn't allow you to see who liked your posts but I have considered turning this on. It's not like it would cause excessive drama like the old rep system would have because you would have been able to see who left negative rep as well

That being said, you are strongly encouraged to use the like buttons, especially in the story forums if you don't want to leave a comment.

There are a few other new features you need to be made aware of, but I will have to address those in a much longer post later, I just wanted to get these out of the way because people have been understandably concerned about it

So this is as good a place as any to mention this. A recent issue was brought to my attention with the reputation system. Namely a bunch of users had ridiculously high rep counts that couldn't possibly exist. Due to there not being an easy way to determine which reputation entries went with which users/posts I decided to fix it the easiest way possible without doing too much harm long term.

Here's what I did:

All reputation given prior to the vb5 upgrade was set to 0. There's no way to be certain these are set correctly for anyone.
    All positive reputation was set to 1 for post upgrade reputation that was given via the like buttons. The calculations on how the rep system works have been changed so many times there wasn't an easy way to determine which numbers were correct and which were from before corrections to the setup were made. I know some of you think that your reputation points are important but really they aren't. Now negative points are a whole different issue, but since those can only be given out by staff and only in extreme circumstances they really don't matter. They also aren't technically part of the reputation system anyway. That's a whole other story though
    I GET KNOCKED DOWN BUT I GET UP AGAIN!

Comment

Working...
    X