This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice For New Writers

This is a thread for more experienced authors to pass on advice and tips to new authors. While first-time authors don't have to read or abide by anything here, they could spare themselves the experience of having their efforts heavily criticized by taking some of this to heart.

I'll kick things off with a few points:

- Characters
    Treat your characters as if they are people. Flesh them out. Give them a life, a personality, something the reader can identify with and take interest in.
    Good: The reader knows what the characters look like and they sound and act differently from one another.
    Bad: The characters are either vaguely described ("she was an average girl") or are completely one-dimensional (the evil/overbearing aunt or parent).

- Plot
    Take your time. Pace yourself. The temptation to get diapers in the story right away may be strong, but if you throw them in there without any build-up, the story will feel rushed. Also, be sure that whatever transpires is plausible within the context of the story. Your story doesn't have to be 'realistic' per say, but nothing should happen that contradicts the previously established logic of the story. Lastly, keep it interesting. A story which consists of nothing more than the protagonist using his/her diaper and being changed won't win very many readers because they've read it all before.
    Good: A story that can stand on its own as a story if the diaper content was to disappear.
    Bad: A story that makes no sense or too closely resembles other stories without any distinguishing characteristics.

- Style
    Style is something you can play with, once you've recognized the ground rules. Generally speaking, your story should be legible. Sentences should start with a capital letter and end with a period. Dialogue should be denoted with quotation marks and marked with the appropriate speaker tags ("Let's go," said John.). There should be no more than one speaker per paragraph. Sentences should have a subject. The point of view should be consistent. Words should be spelled properly.
    Good: So there I was, standing outside the corner shop about to do something I probably would not have done if circumstance had been different. But they weren't, so I slipped the balaclava on, ran in to the store and pulled out my gun.
    Bad: So there i was standing outside th corner shop. About to do somthing i proberly would not have done if circumstance had been different but the wernt so i sliped the balaclava on and ran in to the store and pulled out my gun

- Miscellany
    Posting only a few paragraphs, calling it a start and asking whether or not you should continue is a surefire way to invite criticism.
    From birth onward, we are dying one day at a time.

Advice For New Writers

Another handy thing to do is to formulate the length of the chapters of your work. When I first started writing, I basically just made each chapter as long as I felt they should be. While that isn't bad, if you fall into a habit of making each chapter say… five pages in a Word Document or even one page, two pages, three pages, twenty pages… the point is, keep organized. Standardizing a chapter length for yourself is very useful towards that, as you now have a more or less set border to work within for the details or events you're writing about at that point in time.
    2010 Summer Short Story Contest Winner for:Indigo Flight http://abdlstoryforum.info/forums/in...ic,3972.0.html

Comment

Advice For New Writers

thanks for the advice

Comment

Advice For New Writers

Also remember:

Literally does not mean Figuratively.

Choose the wording for your sentences well.
        Choronzon: I am Anti-Life, the Beast of Judgment. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds… of everything. Sss. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?

Morpheus: I am hope.

-Neil Gaiman’s Sandman Vol. 2 Issue 4

Comment

Advice For New Writers

Choose your priorities and stick to them; aesthetics then fluency or realism followed by beauty.

Decide where you want to go and then follow.

Try and avoid the hackneyed.

Comment

Advice For New Writers

I'm no great author (and I haven't even posted any stories here; hopefully that will change), but great authors have said this: read! Especially if you read in the genre you write, it will help you avoid clichés and probably improve your writing in other ways as well.
            When I was looking for an avatar, I was feeling paranoid so... voila! 1984, the classical cautionary/paranoid tale.
            BTW, 1984 is a good book. Along with Animal Farm; the Abhorsen Trilogy; I,Robot; The Shining; and Harry Potter. As well as many others.

Comment

Re: Advice For New Writers

Here is another suggestion.

Get someone to PROOF READ! They will catch the things you miss or overlook.
              True friendship is found within the faces of those who truly care.

Comment

Another thing you should through up there is avoiding the "List of diaper rules" thing. That is usually where I click the back button.

It usually goes something like this

1. you will remain in diapers 24/7
                2. only i will change them
                3. something along the lines of using various baby paraphernalia and acting like a baby.
                …basically most stories I see on Deeker.
                [right]When I grow up I want to be a little boy.
                -Joseph Heller
                [right]

Comment

Here's just a technical thing, that may explain why "newbie" stories look improperly formatted.

If you're typing your story on Word 2007, expand the Paragraph options, and change "After" in "Spacing" to 0 pt. If you don't, Word will give you the fake notion that you have visual space between your paragraphs. But when you copy it over into the forum, you'll discover that there's no space between the paragraphs! (Or if you don't want to do this, just remember to hit the Enter key twice after you finish a paragraph.)
                  Mr. D's Stories

Comment

Thank you so much for the information regarding new story writers.
                    This has been very helpful and most informative on the rules for writing stories in this genre.
                    I have written other short stories and am now working on another story which involves the wearing of diapers and some other assorted problems associated with this.
                    I have yet to post on this or any other website and have chosen this well-written and most informative website to try my hand at this project.
                    Please, do criticize and encourage me when I start the process of posting this story. I will be grateful for the criticism and the encouragement when it comes.
                    Thank you so much for the chance to write in a genre that I find fascinating, plausible and most needful in today's society.

Comment

… Diaper stories are "most needful in today's society"?

Comment

Originally posted by diaperddy link=topic=297.msg39396#msg39396 date=1274136845
                        Thank you so much for the chance to write in a genre that I find fascinating, plausible and most needful in today's society.
                        Yeah something tells me that this is the one the portals of evil guys will quote mine the next time they blow through here.

Comment

Actually

Diaperddy has a valid point; however it is not just limited to diaper stories, but to any form of relaxing stress relief a person can find.

The benefits of having a stress relief can be medically proven so don't worry about the blowhards that seem to think that they are right.
                          True friendship is found within the faces of those who truly care.

Comment

I've shared this notion on other forums, and I've yet to find a better way to put it.

Your story is (or should be) a movie in your head. You imagine the characters, the scene, the action, the dialogue, the reactions, the emotional responses.

The only way your readers can see that movie is if you describe it all to them, in vivid detail. Spare no expense describing images and facial expressions and emotions.

Don't tell me your main character woke up (at the beginning of the story) late and ran down the stairs and out the door, tell me how she woke up to her alarm clock flashing 12:00 and threw it across the room in frustration, then scrambled through her disaster of a closet to find something to wear, then looked briefly in the mirror and bemoaned the tragic mess where her hair was supposed to be, and so on and so on…

Don't tell me her mother stopped her as she came out of her room and said "Your grandmother is dead and we have to go to the funeral tomorrow", tell me how she was stopped dead in her tracks as she reached the living room, seeing her mother's tear-streaked eyes and the phone hanging limply from one hand as she sat on the couch, bent over, tissues littering the floor, and how her mother looked up at her and said "I'm sorry, baby. Grampa called this morning. Gramma died in her sleep last night. The funeral is on Saturday, but we're going to fly out to Topeka tomorrow for the wake."

Don't tell me your main character started to cry, tell me how her vision clouded and her throat closed as the thought of her grandma being gone stole the strength from her body, and she collapsed next to her mother on the couch, sobbing into her chest as her mother embraced her.

It's all about the details.

You can write a book full of cliches, and people will eat it up if you give them all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by WBDaddy link=topic=297.msg47329#msg47329 date=1313978840

Don't tell me your main character woke up (at the beginning of the story) late and ran down the stairs and out the door, tell me how she woke up to her alarm clock flashing 12:00 and threw it across the room in frustration, then scrambled through her disaster of a closet to find something to wear, then looked briefly in the mirror and bemoaned the tragic mess where her hair was supposed to be, and so on and so on…

Don't tell me her mother stopped her as she came out of her room and said "Your grandmother is dead and we have to go to the funeral tomorrow", tell me how she was stopped dead in her tracks as she reached the living room, seeing her mother's tear-streaked eyes and the phone hanging limply from one hand as she sat on the couch, bent over, tissues littering the floor, and how her mother looked up at her and said "I'm sorry, baby. Grampa called this morning. Gramma died in her sleep last night. The funeral is on Saturday, but we're going to fly out to Topeka tomorrow for the wake."

Don't tell me your main character started to cry, tell me how her vision clouded and her throat closed as the thought of her grandma being gone stole the strength from her body, and she collapsed next to her mother on the couch, sobbing into her chest as her mother embraced her.
                              QFT

And I NEVER QFT. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X