Thread: Reminder about online privacy

Her Eminence Diamond Diaper Club

Reminder about online privacy

The administration would just like to give everyone a little reminder about being careful concerning your privacy. We've noticed some things that are pretty blatantly going to show who you are, and not everyone on the internet is trustworthy - if you don't want this part of your private interests known, you might think about checking your profile and removing any links to your "real" (offline) life.

Standing up and I am stronger,
    Listen to my heart 'cause
    it's getting louder
    Diamond Diaper Club
    Blog Entries

Re: Reminder about online privacy

This is a good place to mention this since it's coming up a LOT the last few days, but when mass inviting people to friend you on social networking sites, especially ones like LINKEDIN for the love of $deity, please watch who you're inviting.

Just in the last 7 days the board's outgoing email address (current) has received 17 (unique) invites to connect on Linkedin, 6 for Google+, 11 for Facebook, and around 30 for various other sites including Livejournal and Dreamwidth.

Don't ever wanna come down,
    My heart is soaring now,
    This fire's burning brighter

it's getting louder
    Diamond Diaper Club
    Blog Entries

So, just throwing this in here as a related detail since this has been brought up to me in several emails recently.

Yes, until you have an account that is off of moderated posting status, you cannot see other users' profiles. This is to protect their privacy as many have their IM contact information or email addresses set to publicly viewable. We have had spammers register in the past just to scan profiles for public contact information. That is the reason for the restriction, and if you're an active member of the community it really doesn't take that long to get full access.
    My heart is soaring now,

it's getting louder
    Diamond Diaper Club
    Blog Entries

JESUS F***ING CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! I can't believe I'm having to say this AGAIN to people but DO NOT BLINDLY SEND LINKEDIN INVITES TO YOUR ENTIRE ADDRESS BOOK! I just received a LINKEDIN invite at the issues@ address for the board. Seriously people, use your brains
    My heart is soaring now,