Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unconventional Solutions - 4.

Re: Unconventional Solutions - 4.

I'm enjoying this story too. Nothing too much to say beyond that right now. As for the dialogue markers, there is a reason books try to make them flow into the narrative as "Molly said" or "said Allen." Maybe it's partially that I'm used to reading that form, but the way you've been marking it I find myself spending time understanding it instead of paying attention to the story itself.
    Take the buffets of life, work through them, and savor the buffets.

Newborn

Well, just trying some stuff out like the internal dialogue in bold italics.

Maybe a splash of lazy too. I always felt like the speech notations were fluffy word points if there isn't a specific story related element to it. It feels comfortable delineating the texting between characters, so I thought I'd try it for speech. Not working huh? Sort of ... Abrupt?

I'm a fan of no dialogue notations at all, but it can get a touch confusing in a longer conversation or a fast moving one with multiple parties. If you were burnt out on "Bob said" or "says Bob", what would you do to tag dialogue?

Quote Originally Posted by diapersnpaws View Post
    I'm a fan of no dialogue notations at all, but it can get a touch confusing in a longer conversation or a fast moving one with multiple parties. If you were burnt out on "Bob said" or "says Bob", what would you do to tag dialogue?
    I've adopted the convention of character actions/inner dialogue/facial expressions/etc to delineate speech instead of dialogue notations in a multiple-person conversation. Gives me a chance to add subtle color to the characters and the scene.